The flock has been shepherded under the guidance of the following leaders: Elder C.C. Halmon (1921), Brother Paul Sager (1922-1923), Sister Sally Foster became the first pastor in (1924), Rev. D.F. Oden served for short time Sunday afternoons (1924), Elder John Richard (1925-1944), Rev. Charles White (1944), Rev. Robert Clark (1946-1952), Sister Jamie Williams (1952), Dr. C. M. Washington (1952-1958), Dr. Washington, Rev. Robert L. Hill (1959-1965), Rev. Orida Thurman (1966-1969), Rev. Roosevelt Williams (1969-1981), Rev. Earl Binion (1981-1982), Rev. John B. Sapp (1982-1994), Rev. Karl Jones (1994-1996), Rev. Demetrius Booker (1996-2004), Rev. Dr. George S. Marshall spiritual advisor magnus (2005-2011), Rev. Dr. Vernon J. Jackson serving as needed interim and associate pastor (2005 & now) and currently serving since 2007 as Elder Pastor Rev. Michael M. Massey. The congregation continues to move forward and grow under his leadership.
The late Anna B. Smith, Annie Evans, and Viola Smith, who were members of the Church of God, saw a spiritual need within the vicinity of Wisconsin Avenue and Chippewa Avenue. No church existed within the area, so the sisters and their neighbors decided to hold prayer meetings in their homes. In 1921, Elder C.C. Halmon hosted a tent meeting for the group on Cherrylawn near Eight Mile Road. The Lord blessed this meeting and saved Rev. John N. Evans, who would prove instrumental in the creation of the church.And the members soon realized a need for a permanent place for worship. Sister Anna Smith and Rev. John Evans met on the corner of Wisconsin and Chippewa to discuss the planning of a new facility. In 1922, the Wisconsin Avenue Church of God purchased a small lot on Cherrylawn and Norfolk and moved into the vicinity. These interested people in 1924 erected a church building. Labor was given free. People who especially helped were: Brother L. Hooper as the contractor, Brothers Charles Stone, John Evans, McGaughy, Pullman, Sister Sally Foster, Sister Nova Harris, Annie Evans, and Lillie Jackson. In 1930, the church relocated to its present location on Chippewa Street and Wisconsin Avenue.
Joseph Smith, son of founder Anna B. Smith, organized the former members. They began to pray, meet and seek God’s guidance. On November 17, 2006, their vision was realized and the “Wisconsin Avenue Church of God Restored” reopened to its congregation and the community. The building at 20060 Wisconsin Avenue was restored to its original purpose as part of the Church of God-Anderson movement. On July 11, 2007, the congregation received its certification through the General Assembly of the Church of God in the State of Michigan and the National Office of the Church of God in Anderson, Indiana under its official name, Wisconsin Avenue Church of God II.